Thursday, May 17, 2012

#51 - Bob Watson


What a card: This is the final card issued of Bob Watson during his career. After beginning his major league career in 1966, he wrapped things up in 1984.

My observation on the front: I think it's a fitting photo for a final card.

More opinion from me: I have more doubles of this card than any other in the 1985 Topps set. I pulled them all out of some awful repack monstrosity five or six years ago. It was one Bob Watson card after another. In the middle of it, I began to think that every card I would ever pull for the rest of my life would be a 1985 Topps Bob Watson.

Something you might know: Watson was a solid hitter for the Houston Astros and the answer to the trivia question of who scored the millionth run in major league baseball history, which he did in 1975, just edging the Reds' Dave Concepcion.

Something you might not know: Watson was traded for a future actor in the Gilmore Girls. The Yankees sent Watson to the Braves for pitching prospect Scott Patterson, who later became an actor in TV and movies. He played Luke Danes, the love interest of the main character in Gilmore Girls, played by Lauren Graham. He was also considered "spongeworthy" by Elaine Benes in an episode of Seinfeld.


My observation on the back: It's nice to have Watson's complete career stats all on one card. But in the red and green format with the tiny type, that is an awfully intimidating collection of letters and numbers.

The blog wants to speak now: The TV and News categories have been updated. A new era in Russia and a showbiz extravaganza on ABC.

2 comments:

'30-Year Old Cardboard said...

I love cards of players sitting in the on-deck circle. I will eventually get around to going after them more regularly...

Jason T. Carter said...

Of all the non-superstar non-Reds in the 1985 set, this is the one that sticks with me the most. I don't know if I had a million of them or what, but I remember this photo very vividly from my youth.

JT, The Writer's Journey