Monday, May 14, 2012

#49 - Butch Davis


What a card: This is the only Topps card of Butch Davis. He appears in just three major releases. The other two are 1984 Donruss and 1994 Pacific.

My observation on the front: I don't know where that spot came from on the top border of the card. I've barely touched these cards since I ordered the entire set in 1985. I think it came out of the box with the spot. My brain is very upset about this.

More opinion from me: I think the only reason Topps issued a card of Davis is because it was trying to catch up with Donruss. In 1983, Davis hit .344 in 33 games for the Royals and Donruss issued a card of him the next year but Topps did not. Topps followed up with a card in '85, but Davis hit just .147 in 41 games the previous year. Donruss didn't bother with a Butch Davis card in its 1985 set.

Something you might know: After his two seasons with the Royals, Davis toiled in the Pirates, Orioles, Dodgers, Blue Jays and Padres organizations for the next seven years with precious few major league at-bats. Finally, in 1993, he played in 62 games for the Rangers.

Something you might not know: Davis made a brief appearance in the movie "Bull Durham." In a creative stretch, he played a baseball player.


My observation on the back: A triple play in your last at-bat? Ouch. Of course, it WAS the 1962 New York Mets.

The blog wants to speak now: The Pop Culture and Music categories have been updated. An REO Speedwagon ballad has taken over the No. 1 position.

No comments: